Health and Safety Regulations Around Machinery
Health and safety regulations are very important in the field of engineering, as any profession that depends heavily on machinery is going to be putting employees at risk if this machinery is improperly used.
As a distributor for many high quality mechanical components, including Boschert safety chucks, we are well aware of the need to be careful around machinery, so here is a brief overview of the health and safety concerns you need to bear in mind.
In What Ways is Machinery Dangerous?
- Moving parts within machinery can trap or crush people, and sharp components can also cause cuts or abrasion wounds if they come into contact with the user.
- Machinery often gets very hot (or occasionally excessively cold), so can easily hurt someone.
- Faulty or poorly maintained machinery can malfunction, causing injury to those who use it.
What Needs to be Done?
– By the Employer
- All machinery needs to be undamaged and complete, and any safeguards and other safety measures must always be in place.
- A safety and maintenance program must always be in place for every individual type of machine.
- Any static machine must be fixed down and properly stable, Also, take proper notice of the situation of a machine, as it should not come into proximity with any untrained people.
- When not in use, a machine must be completely switched off and secured, and this is doubly true if any maintenance is being carried out.
- Notify trained users of any and all changes that are made to a machine. Never conduct any adjustments without keeping regular records.
- Clearly outline the safety instructions for each machine, and ensure that they are only used by trained persons (under proper supervision if appropriate).
– By the User
- Keep the area around any machine tidy, well lit and free of distractions.
- Wear appropriate clothing when using machines (i.e. avoid loose or dangling garments) and keep long hair out of harm’s way. Any protective clothing must also be worn at all times.
- Maintain all safeguards and never remove them, even if they appear to make your work clumsy.
All machines must be kept in good condition and used competently by trained individuals, and if you’d like to know more about this topic then be sure to visit the Health and Safety Executive website. At Motion Drives and Controls Ltd, products like our Boschert safety chucks are fundamental when ensuring the safe use of machinery, and you’ll find no better supplier of these quality products than us. For more information, contact us now by calling 01926 411 544 or emailing email@example.com.